*This article is written for our clients as a Kauai Web Design Manual.
You have your own WordPress website now. Originally WordPress started as a blog platform. It has been developed constantly and became the most popular website platform now (Source: Wikipedia). In the Kauai Web Design manual, we will show you how to use WordPress, Google Analytics and Google Search Console.
Manual Quick Links
Your default login URL is “yourdomain.com/wp-admin”.
Unless you have a customized login URL, Just type “/wp-admin” at the end of your domain name. Then, a login window will show up.
Input your username and password.
You have a security plugin. So, if anybody fails to log in 3 times in a row, their IP will be locked for 24 hours. In that case, you will receive a warning email about the malicious login attempts. Then, contact us immediately.
When you log in for the first time, it may look overwhelming.
Don’t worry. You will need just a few of menus to write blog posts and edit your web pages.
Let us give you a quick overview.
(The screenshot may look different depending on your website functions)
- Posts: your blog posts
- Media: your image files
- Pages: your website pages
- Plugins: add-on patches to extend your site’s functions
- Users: managing users who can access your site
- Settings: basic setting (Don’t touch anything unless you know what you do)
Under the settings, we set up to back up your entire site regularly. If something bad happens to your site, we can restore it.
- SEO: managing your SEO (Search Engine Optimization). We generated your XML sitemaps and indexed your site to Google Search Console and Bing Webmaster Tool
- Insights: Google Analytics. We connected your site to Google Analytics
- Performance: We installed Cache plugins to improve the speed of your site. When you’re using our maintenance package, your site will be added to our CDN (Contents Delivery Network) for the enhanced speed and security.
In “Insights” menu, you can monitor how many people visit your website.
If you want to write a blog post, click “Posts”. When you edit your web pages, click “Pages”.
How to write a blog post
Click “Posts” on the left sidebar.
In the new page, click the “Add New” button.
How to add a new blog post
- Type your title
- Input your contents
- Post your featured image (this image will show up on top of your post and in your articles’ list)
- Check the preview
- Click the “Publish” button
If you want to know more about posting WordPress Blog, please watch the following short video.
How to edit web pages
Depending on your theme, it will look slightly different.
But the main flow will be the same.
We will introduce the easiest way which is suitable for beginners. Yet, this method may be slow.
- Click “Pages” on the left sidebar.
- Find and click the webpage that you want to edit.
- When the webpage shows up, click the “Frontend Editor” button.
- Hover your mouse over the section you want to edit.
- Click the pencil icon to edit.
- When the editing window pops up, edit the contents as you desire.
- After you finish editing, click the “Save Changes” button.
- Click the “Update” button at the right top corner when you finish editing the entire page.
* If it takes too long to load the editing page, click “Stop” button or “Go Back” button and start again.
How to read Google Analytics
We will introduce two ways to check your Google Analytics: quick view & standard view.
Remember, if we set up Google Analytics recently, you will need to wait a few days to see actual data.
(1) Quick View at WordPress Dashboard
Click “Insights” on the left sidebar at WordPress Dashboard.
You will find the brief graph.
* The data in your Google Analytics don’t include the clicks made by administrators or editors of your website. When you log in your site as an administrator, those clicks won’t be counted.
(2) Standard View at analytics.google.com
Login with your Gmail account which we created as a webmaster.
When you log in, you will see the Analytics Dashboard.
Among the menus on the left sidebar, pay attention to “Audience”, “Acquisition”, and “Behavior”.
- Audience: You will see the demographics of your audience.
- Acquisition: you will see how your site acquires visitors to your site, or how people find your website and through which gateway they visit you.
- Behavior: You can see behaviors of your visitors inside your website. For instance, which page visitors click first, and then which page they click next. How many clicks they make and leave, and so on. When you examine your visitors’ behavior, you will find what to improve your site.
If you want to know more about how to read Google Analytics, please watch this YouTube video.
Google Search Console & Bing Webmaster Tool
Since we submitted your sitemap and indexed your website to those search engines, you don’t need to do any extra work.
However, if you want to focus on your SEO professionally, then you can visit the following links.
Use your Gmail account to log in.
Google Search Console
* Discussing details about Search Console and Webmaster Tools is beyond the scope of this manual. If you want to know more them, you can visit the help pages in the above links.
Improving Kauai Web Design Manual
This is the first edition of Kauai Web Design Manual.
If you have any questions or difficulties while using your website, please feel free to contact us. We will help you to understand the issues and to solve the problems.
Your feedback is important because through the clear communication we understand clients’ needs.
We will keep improving this manual to support the online presence of your business.